Vital Voices Global Partnership (www.vitalvoices.org), a leading international non-governmental organization committed to advancing women's leadership in the areas of economic empowerment, human rights, and political participation, seeks a talented professional with strong program development and implementation skills for the position of Program Coordinator, MENA— Human Rights.
The Senior Program Coordinator – MENA will support the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region programs, including managing sub-awards directed at empowering women and girls in the region. The Senior Program Coordinator’s position requires fluency in Arabic and French, and flexibility to collaborate with other teams as needed. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the MENA Program Manager on the Human Rights team.
Reporting directly to the Program Manager for the MENA program, the Senior Program Coordinator will be responsible for technical expertise related to projects conducted in the region to include implementation of policies and practices, assisting the MENA Program Manager with grant proposals, funder research, and budgeting, and providing institutional capacity building to local organizations operating/working in the MENA Region. The position will be responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships within the human rights department and with local organizations/external stakeholders in the MENA region, leading documentation of processes and procedures based on best practices in the MENA region, and liaising with the Finance team to prepare and process invoices, expense reports, program expenditures, and monitoring and evaluation plans and reports.
This position is a full time, salaried position that is temporary, due to the nature of our current grant awards. This position is based in Washington, DC (however can be done remotely during the pandemic).
- Program Development and Implementation: Support planning and coordination of programs and its activities to include implementation of policies and practices; assist the MENA Program Manager with grant proposals, funder research, and budgeting; Provide institutional capacity building of local organizations operating/working in the MENA Region
- Language: Provide linguistic expertise in Arabic for gender-based violence programs. This includes outreach, networking, and contributing to the regional network and other related activities.
- Relationship Management: Build and maintain positive relationships within the human rights department and with local organizations/external stakeholders in the MENA region
- Administrative: Lead documentation of processes and procedures based on best practices in the MENA region; Liaise with the Finance team to prepare and process invoices, expense reports, and track program expenditures; Keep updated records used for monitoring and evaluation plans and reports
- Reporting: Assist in drafting semi-annual and quarterly reports to the funders on the aforementioned project progress in the region. This includes activity implementation and communications updates; best practices and lessons learned identified; and program management updates.
- Contractor and Sub-Grantee Management: Assist in managing sub-grantee and contractor agreements. This includes, but is not limited to reviewing proposals, contracts, budgets, program and financial reports. Maintains collaborative relationships with partner organizations
- Financial Management: Assist with managing project budgets, update forecasts, and track project spending. Monitors projects’ financial status and recommends appropriate adjustments when necessary. Works with the Vital Voices Finance team to process invoices and expense reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations or a related field plus 8-10 years of related work experience required, OR Graduate degree in International Relations or a related field, plus 6-8 years of related work experience required.
- Experience living and working in the MENA region, required
- Advanced Arabic language proficiency required; Kurdish language and/or French language proficiency preferred
- Experience working on USG grants or cooperative agreements, such as US State Department or USAID grants, strongly preferred, including subaward management, development and implementation of requests for proposals, financial management, budgeting tracking and ability to effectively coordinate with sub-grantees including some capacity building to ensure compliance
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong research and analytical skills, with an emphasis on keen editing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team is key
- Ability to prioritize tasks, swiftly shift priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, sometimes in difficult conditions, is necessary
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity required
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications and database software (i.e. Salesforce).
The Senior Program Coordinator for MENA position is a temporary, full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. Domestic and international travel up to 10% may be required for the position. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other federal, state or local protected characteristic. Vital Voices does not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.