Position Title: Chief Communications & Digital Marketing Officer
Reports To: CEO
Organization: Vital Voices Global Partnership
Position Location: Washington, DC
Organization and Team:
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, holistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 18,000 change-makers across 182 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 70 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022 we will be opening the first-ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It will be a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader to help us build a robust Communications department, which includes marketing, public relations, digital media, events, advocacy and thought leadership. The Department’s aim is to build Vital Voices' brand, increase the visibility of leaders in the Vital Voices network, and advance the critically important narrative that women's leadership is vital in every sphere.
Vital Voices: Join the Movement
Stories of Impact
Vital Voices is seeking a Chief Communications and Digital Marketing Officer (CCO) to join the Vital Voices team. Reporting to the CEO, the CCO will develop and implement communication strategies that enhance Vital Voices’ influence and engagement with the general public and key audiences (media, public officials, donors, influencers). The CCO will serve as the “Chief Story-Teller" responsible for crafting compelling narratives about our mission and impact to increase visibility of the Vital Voice brand. The CCO will oversee brand positioning, creative content development, thought leadership, digital strategy and events. Leveraging Vital Voices' brand visibility and network of 18,000 women leaders across the globe, the CCO will design strategies that amplify their voices and weave a compelling narrative about Vital Voices' impact. The CCO will also be responsible for overseeing the advocacy strategy to elevate the organization's role in policy and coalition work. In this role, the CCO will amplify and expand Vital Voices’ brand. Lastly, the CCO will oversee collaboration across Vital Voices' program teams to connect the work to brand communications.
- Develop communications and storytelling partnerships that further Vital Voices' influence and visibility. This can include collaborations with organizations, corporations, communities and influencers.
- Maintain an entrepreneurial approach and ability to build the Communications team.
- Develop and create a consistent framework to approach Advocacy and Communications at Vital Voices and build a stronger voice on policy and thought leadership.
- Develop and manage the annual marketing operating plan and budget.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive, long-term marketing, communications, and branding strategy consistent with the strategic goals, plans, and aspirations of Vital Voices, including a VV brand bible to be shared with VV global chapters.
- Develop communications campaigns for special initiatives or to meet a departmental or organizational goal.
- Oversee all Vital Voices events, including annual Global Leadership Awards.
- Oversee the creation of all creative assets
- Develop and oversee all communications materials that capture the stories behind programming and advocacy work (I.e., website postings, newsletters, advocacy social campaigns/pledges, videos, and organizational reports) for two target audiences (supporters/potential supporters and the Vital Voices membership.)
- Establish the organization's overall social media strategy (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube), including establishing brand guidelines for engaging with the public, monitoring, posting, tracking metrics, and evaluating new tools.
- Respond to requests for information from members of the media, stakeholders, and the general public.
- Promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation, leadership in the field, and visibility of the organization and its leaders.
- Develop and implement data-driven and user-centered methodologies to optimize digital experiences, and build Vital Voices’ constituent base across email and social channels.
- Oversee the development, execution and growth of online fundraising campaigns in collaboration with the Development Department
- Oversee, drive awareness of and execute major events to launch and sustain interest in a first-of-its kind global headquarters for women’s leadership in our nation’s capital, that will serve as an iconic landmark and epicenter for women’s leadership and engagement.
- Develop best-in-class processes to collect data, derive insights, and inform content strategy and digital infrastructure decisions
- Develop and implement the Vital Voices public relations strategy that will allow VV leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media, key influencers, government officials, major donors, and other audiences.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications, opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership team providing performance management, coaching, and support to Vital Voices' employees across cross-functional matrix teams.
- Model the Vital Voices commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to disrupt and evolve systems and behaviors that negatively impact women and BIPOC employees and network.
- Fifteen plus years of experience in a senior communications role in a non-profit organization, PR agency, corporate or media organization, and passion for VV’s mission.
- Demonstrated expertise in overseeing high-profile campaigns (media, government relations, digital engagement, online fundraising, social advocacy campaigns, etc.) to advance organizational goals.
- Experience in building communications strategies, approach, and team.
- Proven communications leader with experience in creating and implementing successful digital marketing strategies.
- Extensive experience working with the media, and a strong network of media contacts.
- Demonstrated commitment to DEI and approaching communications with a culturally competent global framework.
- Experience leading a team.
- Experience in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and ability to manage and delegate multiple priorities.
- A thorough understanding of various types of media, including print, digital, written, and online
- Ability to translate advocacy and policy language and ideas into language easily comprehensible to a general audience of non‐specialists
- Understanding of the industry's political environment and interpersonal relationships and ability to develop messages as appropriate
- Deep knowledge of online paid advertising, SEO, social platform analytics, web analytics, and Google Adwords
- Deep knowledge of and experience with website UI/UX and visual design
- A thorough knowledge of the industry and the organization's goals and message
- Experience with CRM software and digital marketing tools and techniques
- Strong grasp of metrics to help analyze the team's KPI's and ensure the organization is meeting its goals.
- Extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of communications media (print, digital, etc.)
- Strong editing and proofreading skills (APA style preferred).
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skill in compelling written storytelling.
- Skill in gathering and synthesizing information from many sources.
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. (Although other locations are considered.) This position requires the ability to travel (varies depending on location) 20-40%.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/dpx8
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
● Resume and cover letter
● Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.