Position Title: Development Writer
Reports To: Sr. Director of Development
Organization: Vital Voices Global Partnership
Position Location: Washington, DC
Organization and Team:
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, wholistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 18,000 change-makers across 182 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 70 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022 we will be opening the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It will be a hub of activity, events and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
Vital Voices is seeking an experienced Development Writer with strong, persuasive writing skills to support Vital Voices’ fundraising efforts. As a member of the Development and Strategic Partnerships team, working closely with the Communications team, the Development Writer will create fundraising proposals, prospecting decks, project summaries, board presentations, and impact reports to elevate Vital Voices’ programming and impact in support of our bold new 2030 vision. They will play a key role on the Development and Strategic Partnerships team and will regularly collaborate with cross-functional departments to secure funding opportunities for Vital Voices.
- Proposal Development: Write and edit competitive proposals to prospects for major gift solicitations designed for corporations, foundations, and individuals. Connect with technical and program experts to obtain content to develop impactful proposals, letters of inquiry, concept notes and other development documents.
- Proposal and Document Management Process: Serve as the lead proposal writer and manager of the proposal process. Design and implement an internal grant management process and document/collateral online storage system. Build library of Vital Voices’ writing assets for use by staff (i.e. brief overviews, one-pagers, concept notes, presentations, decks, etc.). Work with graphic designer on proposal and report designs.
- Reporting: Prepare stewardship reports, donor updates and materials to enable key partners to understand and appreciate the impact their gifts have made on our efforts to advance women’s leadership globally.
- Prospect Research: Assist in prospect research and recommend high-yield funding opportunities to pursue new opportunities aligned with Vital Voices’ strategic priorities.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Model the Vital Voices commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to disrupt and evolve systems and behaviors that negatively impact BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA employees and network members.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Five plus years of experience in Development, Fundraising, Communications, or related field with a focus on original writing
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism or related field , plus five years of relevant work experience required, OR Graduate degree in Communications, English, Journalism or related field or a related field, plus two years of work experience REQUIRED.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to craft compelling narratives through storytelling with keen attention to detail.
- An entrepreneurial approach with ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and self-awareness;
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (esp. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), social networking tools, and database software (i.e. Salesforce);
- This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/dtar
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
- Resume and cover letter
- Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted