Position Title: Field Operations Director, Afghanistan Crisis Response
Reports to: Vice President, Global Network and Regional Engagement
Organization: Vital Voices Global Partnership
Position Location: Washington, DC
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, holistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support, and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 18,000 change-makers across 182 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 70 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022 we will be opening the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It will be a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
We are seeking a talented Senior professional with deep experience leading complex multi-faceted humanitarian and development programmes for the position of Field Director, with regional expertise in Afghanistan and experience responding to humanitarian crises and emergencies to support our relocation efforts on the ground in Albania as a part of our response to the crisis in Afghanistan.
The Field Director will lead all resettlement efforts and provide strategic direction for day-to-day operations in Albania including leading diplomatic relations on behalf of Vital Voices with the Government of Albania, who are hosting Afghan evacuees under Albanian laws and regulations. The Director’s primary responsibilities will focus on leading the development of strategy that is solutions-oriented and based on close partnerships with Vital Voices key partners including The Georgetown Institute of Women Peace and Security and the Government of Albania. (S)he will work closely with a cross-functional team including the VP of Global Network and Regional Engagement and Senior Program Manager.
Responsibilities: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Relationship Management: Identify and liaise with key government stakeholders and NGO partners. Maintain contact and relationships with Albanian government officials, our key partner organizations, individuals, and participants on VV’s behalf, as well as relationship management with Embassies and multilateral organizations concerned with the Afghanistan response. Maintain positive and effective relationships with key stakeholders to stay abreast of political, social, economic, and cultural developments to ensure positive outcomes.
· Operations: Oversee the proper functioning of the lodging where the two groups of Afghan evacuees are staying, ensuring that their needs are being met, and that adequate procedures are in place for the proper treatment of evacuees and that holistic care is being offered. He/she will be responsible for ensuring that any complaints or challenges are resolved in a proper and timely fashion.
· Expertise in Humanitarian Crises: Apply expertise in managing humanitarian crises and working in conflict and/or post-conflict settings, with experience managing and/or working in refugee settings or camps.
· Care: Provides safe, timely, effective, equitable care and response according to the context. Maintain a human rights-based approach in the implementation of services through a holistic approach to meet individual needs. Responsible for effective implementation of procurement policies, procedures, and systems applicable to the Crisis Response and standard operating procedures. Ensure existing practices, policies are in compliance with global standards and donors’ requirements.
· Gender-based violence (GBV) subject matter expertise: Bring a deep understanding of gender-based violence, its roots causes, and its impacts on victims/survivors and society. Maintain an understanding of best practices in GBV service provision.
· Strategy: Responsible for leading on the development and implementation of VV’s long-term resettlement strategy for the Afghan evacuees, while reporting regularly on outputs. Provide policy guidance and operational support to Vital Voices related to the resettlement effort.
· Resettlement Efforts: Manage relationship with key partners including consultants and local partners to create and adjust Standard Operating Procedures in-line with international humanitarian standards (SOPs) as necessary for holistic support in the resettlement effort, including ensuring that evacuees receive proper medical treatment, psychosocial services, security, and education.
· Project Development and Implementation: Responsible for all activities necessary to support planning and execution, including logistical preparation in project start-up and closing in line with Vital Voices policies and SOPs. Assist the operations team to ensure quality measures and program outcomes are executed successfully.
· Communications: Create one-pagers, concept notes, other communications documents for Global Network & Regional Engagement team, donors, and Afghanistan Crisis Response matrix team.
· DE&I Commitment: Model the Vital Voices commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to disrupt and evolve systems and behaviors that negatively impact women and BIPOC employees and network.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in international relations or a related field, plus 10 years of relevant work experience required, OR Graduate degree in in international relations or a related field, plus 5-7 years of work experience REQUIRED.
· Proven experience in large scale project administration including managing employees working in overseas and humanitarian contexts, with a specifical focus on conflict and post-conflict settings.
· Strong demonstrated experience in global women’s issues, refugee issues, and human rights.
· Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
· Experience living, working in a conflict or post-conflict setting preferred.
· Experience living, working, or studying in Afghanistan or MENA region preferred.
· Experience with database management and gender-based violence case management preferred.
· Ability to prioritize tasks, swiftly shift priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, sometimes under difficult or challenging circumstances.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team.
· Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and self-awareness.
· Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (esp. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), social networking tools, and database software (i.e., Salesforce).
· This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Albania. If and when it is safe to travel, domestic and international travel up to 10% may be required for the position.
· This is a limited-term position funded through June 31, 2022, with the possibility for extension. This position requires flexibility of working hours, to include evenings and weekends.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Staff may experience secondary trauma due to exposure to trauma related to the experiences shared by the evacuees and/or graphic gender-based violence content in their work. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/ea6w
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
- Resume and cover letter
- Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.