Position Title: Temporary Manager, Afghanistan Crisis Response
Reports to: Vice President, Global Network & Regional Engagement
Organization: Vital Voices Global Partnership
Position Location: Washington, DC
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, wholistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support, and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 20,000 change-makers across 184 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 70 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022 we will be opening the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It will be a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
We are seeking a talented professional with strong program implementation and case management skills for the position of Manager, Crisis Response team with expertise working with refugee populations, especially from crisis-affected countries, specifically Afghanistan, to support our relocation efforts on the ground in Albania as a part of the Vital Voices’ Afghan Women’s Fund. This position is temporary until December 31, 2022.
The Manager will lead all resettlement efforts and manage the day-to-day operation in Albania. The Program Manager’s primary responsibilities focus on monitoring the operation, managing the subawards to the local partners, managing field staff, ensuring refugee needs are being met, and information management tasks. The Program Manager for Resettlement works in close collaboration with the Field Director in Albania and the VP of Global Networks and Regional Engagement
Responsibilities: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Resettlement Efforts: Manage the logistics and mechanisms to maintain the support structure created in Albania. Manage several subawards to local partners, as well as contracts and payments to service providers and local staff. Build and maintain relationships with hotel staff, medical providers, international NGOs and other organizations as needed. Work with the Field Director, Field Officer and partner organizations to create and revise SOPs as necessary to ensure safe and efficient service provision to the Afghan evacuees. Ensure and oversee a high level of care for over 400 individuals accommodated in Albania. Work with US and Canadian lawyers to provide legal support on resettlement.
- Regional Expertise: Apply regional expertise to ensure that all efforts are done with cultural sensitivity and navigated through an appropriate lens, especially from the MENA region, South Asia, and/or Eastern Europe.
- Program Development and Implementation: Support program planning and execution, including proposal and budget development technological support, participant tracking, . Assist the operations team to ensure quality measures and program outcomes are executed successfully. Work with Monitoring and Evaluation team to support analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Relationship Management: Identify and liaise with key stakeholders and partners. Maintain contact and relationships with Albanian government officials, our key partner organizations, Afghan evacuees, and participants on VV’s behalf. As well as relationship management with Embassies concerned with the Afghanistan response.
- Communications: Create one-pagers, concept notes, other communications documents for Global Network & Regional Engagement team & Afghanistan Crisis Response matrix team. Work with Field Director to report regularly to the Albanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Operations: Managing grants and contracts. Receiving and reviewing grants and/or contracts, managing those relationships and passing on invoices and contracts to the ops/ finance team.
- DE&I Commitment: Model the Vital Voices commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to disrupt and evolve systems and behaviors that negatively impact women and BIPOC employees and network.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations or a related field, plus 2-4 years of relevant work experience required, OR Graduate degree in in international relations or a related field, plus 1-3 years of work experience REQUIRED;
- Strong demonstrated experience in global women’s issues and human rights;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Dari PREFERRED;
- Experience living, working and/or studying in the MENA region or Muslim-majority country preferred;
- Experience with database management and gender-based violence case management preferred;
- Ability to prioritize tasks, swiftly shift priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, sometimes under difficult or challenging circumstances;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and self-awareness;
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (esp. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), social networking tools, and database software (i.e. Salesforce).
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Albania. Domestic and international travel up to 20% may be required. It is a temporary position until December 31, 2022.
The starting salary range for this position is $78,564-$78,564 based on experience and ability to have broad impact early. The compensation package includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k match, and generous PTO including wellness flex days, generous parental leave, sabbatical time, and volunteer leave as well as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, HSA, EAP, and a professional development stipend.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Staff may experience secondary trauma due to exposure to descriptive and/or graphic gender-based violence content in their work on the urgent assistance program.
Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
How to Apply:
Click the following link:
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
· Resume and cover letter
· Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.