Position Title: Compliance and Budget Specialist
Reports to: Sr. Compliance and Budget Specialist
Organization: Vital Voices Global Partnership
Position Location: Washington, DC
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, holistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support, and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 20,000 change-makers across 184 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 80 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022 we opened the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It will be a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
The Finance team has an exciting opportunity for a talented professional with expertise in US government compliance, financial oversight and subaward management for the position of Compliance and Budget Specialist. The Compliance and Budget Specialist will provide support for day-to-day award budget management, reviewing subaward budgets, support for financial vetting of new sub-awardees, review sub-awardee quarterly financial reports and invoices, and review final financial reports submitted at closeout under the direction of the Senior Specialist. In addition, the Specialist will collaborate closely with the program staff and Senior Specialist to increase the capacity of organizations receiving subawards through the Initiative. The Specialist will work across a portfolio of projects alongside and learning from cross-functional teams with leaders and peers with varying backgrounds, education, and experiences.
This position is based in Washington, DC with staff expected to be in office a minimum of twice a week. One to two times a year, this position may have the opportunity to assist in financial reporting and capacity building onsite with in-country partners.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Financial Management: Review program budgets, as well as updated forecasts. Track spending on project and review for accuracy. Review procurement requests and vendor contracts, when needed. Ensure that all financial transactions are conducted in accordance with VV and donor regulations. Support the implementation of due diligence practices to minimize risk and ensure adequate oversight of transactions.
- Government compliance: Provide support for grantees receiving USG funds, including financial vetting, pre-award budget negotiations, reviewing quarterly reporting and final reports submitted by grantees. Provide input for financial vetting of urgent assistance program partners.
- Capacity building and technical assistance: Work in collaboration with program staff to provide technical assistance and capacity-building support for grantees and local partners, including input on the enhancement of financial policies and procedures. Provide guidance regarding best practices in financial management, including financial oversight, cash handling, record keeping, audits, etc.
- Program Management: Collaborate with program staff to support the day-to-day oversight for subaward and the Urgent Assistance program. Ensure adherence to program plans and schedules as well as develop solutions to problems. Engage with local organizations in the implementation and troubleshooting of projects. Coordinate with the Senior Specialist to develop, maintain and monitor any other relevant subaward processes.
- Relationship Management: Provide support for partner organizations for finance-related tasks; coordinate communication between beneficiaries and program staff; .
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, business administration, accounting, finance or related field with 2-4 years of experience in program management, compliance, finance management or related experience;
- Expertise in compliance with US government regulations a plus;
- Experience with subaward management, including financial vetting and oversight for subaward compliance with donor regulations;
- Experience with budget development, budget forecasting, tracking and reconciliation;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize work, execute exceptionally well, and deliver high-quality results within very tight timelines with minimal supervision, on time;
- Experience with proposal development a plus;
- Positive attitude and demonstrated commitment to Vital Voices mission and values;
- Advanced computer literacy, including strong Excel skills.
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
The starting salary range for this position is $59,635-$72,888 based on experience and ability to have broad impact early. The compensation package includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k match, and generous PTO including wellness flex days, generous parental leave, sabbatical time and volunteer leave as well as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, HSA, EAP, and a professional development stipend.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
The Urgent Assistance Program requires working with explicit information on gender-based violence that may expose staff to secondary trauma.
Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/fo7i
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
- Resume and cover letter
- Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.