Position Title: Director, Events
Department: Communications & Events
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer
Position Location: Washington, DC
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is we make long-term, holistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of peers, financial support, and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 20,000 change-makers across 184 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 80, headquartered in Washington, DC. In the coming years we have a bold vision to dramatically scale our impact. In early 2022, we opened the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. This Women’s embassy is a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
We are seeking a creative professional to bolster our convening power, enhance the impact of our events, and to conceive innovative programming to engage audiences to further our mission. The Director of Events’ primary responsibilities include supporting, planning, and seamlessly executing multiple events a year. Our events are as wildly varied as our initiatives, including book talks, speaker panel events, fellowship convenings, and award ceremonies honoring the women in our network across the globe. This is a pivotal role in event ideation, outreach, management, and strategic brand positioning, all critical to the overall success of the Communications & Events Department. The Director of Events will report to the Chief Communications Officer.
Responsibilities: Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Signature Events Management: Organize, lead and manage all logistical and creative elements for Vital Voices signature events, including but not limited to:
- Annual Vital Voices Headquarters festival in Washington, DC
- Annual Global Leadership Awards in Washington, DC
- Annual Council events in San Francisco and Seattle in partnership with the Development team
- Annual Voices of Solidarity event in New York City
- Special Events Management: Steward and effectively manage special events including book talks, leadership panels, and film screenings.
- Programmatic Events Support: Serve as both a thought and logistics partner supporting Vital Voices programmatic events throughout the year.
- Strategic Planning: Support overall strategic planning and vision for all upcoming Vital Voices events this year and in the future.
- Financial Management and Administration: Support budget planning and maintenance for Communications & Events in conjunction with Chief Communications Officer.
- Relationship Building: Collaborate with the Development and Communications teams to build events that garner greater outreach and brand awareness for the organization, bring in new potential funders, partners, and thought leaders for events and event collaboration.
- DE&I Commitment: Embrace and Model the Vital Voices guiding principles, values, investment, and leadership models with the goal of supporting Vital Voices organizational culture and success.
- Team Leadership: Oversight and mentorship for events team members, including a Communications & Events Coordinator (direct report).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Eight years or more of progressive experience in special events management, specifically with not-for-profits, NGOs, diplomatic, political or high-profile figures or organizations facilitating critical fund raisers
- Track record of full-cycle events management including organizing, planning, and executing high-level, large-scale events
- Experience managing large event budgets
- Successful track record of short and long-term strategic planning and implementation for events
- Demonstrated experience and interest in global women’s issues, gender equity, foreign affairs and racial justice
- Exceptional time management, project management, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks, swiftly shift priorities, and work in a dynamic environment with tight deadlines, sometimes under difficult or challenging circumstances
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and self-awareness
- Confidence in positioning and supporting the organization in a wide range of situations
- Ability to build successful partnerships and negotiate effective agreements
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (Including Excel, Word, PowerPoint), social networking tools, and online event management software (Cvent, Splash, MailChimp)
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. If and when it is safe to travel, domestic and international travel up to approximately 20% may be required for the position. Vital Voices does not provide relocation assistance or visa sponsorship. Authorization to work in the United States is required.
The starting salary range for this position is $111,372-$136,122 based on experience and ability to have broad impact early. The compensation package includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k match, and generous PTO including wellness flex days, generous parental leave, sabbatical time, and volunteer leave as well as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, HSA, EAP, and a professional development stipend.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/fp1s
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
· Resume and cover letter
· Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.